- Northeast Indiana serves as a strategic distribution hub for businesses distributing product to the Great Lakes/Midwest region, located approximately 2 hours from Indianapolis and 3 hours from Chicago, Detroit, Columbus and Cincinnati.
- Northeast Indiana is among the lowest cost regions in the U.S. for serving national markets, ranking 8th in the country according to Taimerica. Calculated costs for national distribution from Fort Wayne fall within one percent of the lowest cost center.
- General Mills, Family Dollar, Kroger, Wal-Mart, and Sweetwater Sound have major distribution centers in the Fort Wayne region.
- Served by two Class I freight railroads, CSX and Norfolk Southern. Numerous Norfolk Southern main lines converge in Fort Wayne, connecting to Detroit, Chicago, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Kansas City and Toledo with a major east-west CSX main line from Chicago to the Northeast passing through Auburn, Indiana. Numerous Class III lines by Rail America and the Indiana Northeastern Railroad also serve the region.
- Fort Wayne is headquarters to Triple Crown, an affiliate with Norfolk Southern Corporation, which provides bimodal, truckload transportation services throughout the eastern two-thirds of the United States and portions of Canada.
View the Transportation section for more information on transportation/logistics assets or view the Transportation Map.
Employment & Wages
|Occupation ||2013 NEI Employment || Avg. Hourly Wage || National Avg. Hourly Earnings ||NEI/US |
|Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers ||5,869 ||$19.76 ||$19.40 ||101.9% |
|Laborers and freight, stock, and material movers, hand ||4,688 ||$12.28 ||$12.70 ||96.7% |
|Industrial truck and tractor operators ||3,029 ||$15.73 ||$15.43 ||101.9% |
|Shipping, receiving, and traffic clerks ||2,536 ||$13.20 ||$14.76 ||89.4% |
|Packers and packagers, hand ||2,114 ||$10.91 ||$10.80 ||101.0% |
|Light truck or delivery services drivers ||1,664 ||$15.55 ||$16.32 ||95.3% |
|Machine feeders and offbearers ||724 ||$13.80 ||$13.79 ||100.1% |
|First-line supervisors/managers of transportation and material-moving machine and vehicle operators ||670 ||$26.36 ||$26.65 ||98.9% |
|First-line supervisors/managers of helpers, laborers, and material movers, hand ||491 ||$21.62 ||$22.69 ||95.3% |
Source: EMSI 2013.4 Class of Worker, QCEW
|Company ||Product ||Employment in FTE |
|Kroger/Peyton’s ||Food Warehousing and Distribution ||1,017 |
|Norfolk Southern Corp. ||Rail Transportation ||784 |
|Sweetwater Sound ||Sound Recording Studio and Equipment Distribution ||510 |
|Sirva ||Global Relocation and Moving Services ||500 |
|Wal-Mart Distribution Center ||Food Warehousing and Distribution ||450 |
|Family Dollar Distribution Center ||Warehousing and Distribution ||353 |
|UPS ||Package Processing for Ground and Air Delivery ||345 |
|Specialized Transportation Inc. ||Trucking and Supply Chain Management ||250 |
|CSX Corp. ||Rail Transportation ||200 |
|Performance Food Group ||Food and Related Products Distribution ||196 |
|Ormsby Trucking ||Trucking ||160 |
|SuperValu ||Food Warehousing and Distribution ||160 |
|First Fleet Inc. ||Contract Hauling ||150 |
|Therma-Tru ||Distribution Center ||135 |
|Buchanan Hauling and Rigging ||Trucking ||100 |
|Brothers Express Inc. ||Trucking ||99 |
|Exel ||Food Warehousing and Distribution ||98 |
|Five Star Distributing ||Beer Distribution ||91 |
|Fischer Trucking Inc. ||Trucking ||89 |
Source: Community Research Institute at IPFW
Header Image Courtesy of Norfolk Southern
Back to Top